In 1904 the Andrew Barclay company-built works No. 945 and was delivered new to S J Claye Ltd at Long Eaton in Derbyshire. S J Clave manufactured and repair of railway wagons. By 1937 the business was acquired by Charles Roberts & Co. Ltd who was a rival wagon builder. We presume that the locomotive remained there during the second world war, but by 1944, 945 was purchased by Yates and Duxbury Ltd to work at the Yates Duxbury Paper Mill. Between a system of lines at their paper mills and the L&Y goods branch at Heap Bridge, near Bury.
By the early 1970’s it had become the last steam locomotive to operate in private industry, rather than operated by the National Coal Board, which was Government owned. It is known that 945 gained the name ‘Annie’ from a W4 Peckett which was worn out at the mill and to keep the engines name living on it was transferred to No.945. Which resulted in No. 945 becoming Annie as we know her today.
The locomotive moved to the Lavender Line and ran for several years, until the locomotive was bought by the Whitwell & Reepham Railway in 2009, where she ran services and helped develop the railway until 2012. She then began an extensive Overhaul, sadly it was found that the boiler was heavily pitted.
Annie is currently undergoing a huge overhaul resulting in massive boiler and running gear work. Annie is the W&RR’s first home steam locomotive and is much loved by the volunteers at the railway who hope to see her return to steam in the near future.